Wednesday, October 8, 2008
Deflated convictions
Before I entered the classroom and met my CT for the first time, I was sure they were going to be rigorously stringent on the rules of the classroom. I thought I would go into the class, listen to the teacher tell the students what was what and who was who when it came to the rules, and then I would leave scared of breaking any of the rules my self. I mean come on, they are rowdy 6th graders...right? That was not the case. My CT was adamant about having the students brainstorm together, discuss together, and agree together on the ways in which they expected THEMSELVES to behave. I was pleased to say the least. I did not go home cowardly that day. I went home understanding that in the real world we make choices every day as to how we should properly act, why shouldn't students make those same choices in the classroom, and pin them on the wall as theirs to abide by.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Lucas, I really like this idea and I recently realized this myself. It is easier for students to follow the rules when they play a part in creating them. We are always told that we should be building communities in our classroom and what a great way to come together and agree on class expectations! Sounds like your off to a great start this year!
Post a Comment