I came into the classroom last week and saw little poddlets of desks scattered about the room. My CT had grouped the desks. My initial reaction was, "Wow there is a lot of room." The space that was created for movement was amazing. From a teaching perspective, when I did my read-aloud, I was able to quickly move from group to group to hear what the students were discussing. This was very contradictory to the struggle of having to hurdle rows to get to student conversation. I also noticed an increase in management power. During my lesson I was able to quickly and quietly move to where some students were talking and place a, "please be quiet while I am teaching" hand on one of their desks. This would have been much more obvious of an issue to the rest of the class if I had to either say something out loud or run through the rows (which I wouldn't) to put the hand down on their desk. The negative that I noticed about this setup, so far, is that students are more likely to talk, or pass notes, or create distractions for a larger group of students easier.
I could go on and on about the benefits and negatives concerning both these setups, but I would love to hear your preference, opinion, or even suggestions. I will try and get a picture of the new arrangement. Also, what is your opinion on starting out with rows and then moving into groups, with this grade level?



3 comments:
Wow! Even though we are interning at the same school I just realized I have never seen your classroom before. It is so neat to see all those books on the side toolbar that relate to Mexican Americans. What resource did you use to find all of these? That is something I wish I had more of; books that relate to the demographic of my students.
Hey Lucas! In my classroom, we have columns, rather than rows. It is too difficult to group students into pods in our classroom, so my CT has placed the seats in an arrangement where each student will have at least one partner to their left or right. I think seating arrangements are very important and need to be accommodated per classroom according to how students react in certain arrangements. One more thing to note about grouped seats is to make sure all students are able to see the front of the class (or where most instruction takes place) without having to move around and away from their desks! It could be a potential issue/distraction!!
I like your clothes pin/helper board. My class has jobs as well. Ours change each week so the students can explore different responsibilities. They get to choose their own jobs, but can only choose each job once until they've had them all. They like the choice - I don't think they realize they have to choose each one once in the long run.
Post a Comment