- Starting with just being in the classroom, I would say the most surprising thing I have noticed overall would be the intensity of which the teacher and the students work at It is a rare sight to see my CT just kicking back and not doing or thinking about anything. She constantly grades papers, organizes her desk, talks to students about late HW or gives them positive feedback, teaching a lesson, discussing future projects with the other 6th grade teacher... the list goes on. Having quite a few family members as teachers, I knew the job was not easy but I didn't have a grasp on the constant physical and mental activity that a teacher subjects themselves to on a daily bases. Remarkable.
Students as well as teachers are put through the ringer in 6th grade. Some hang with the amount of work being, appropriately, placed in their laps, but some don't. I was definitely surprised at the intensity level the students and the teacher endure.
- My biggest surprise in regards to actually working with the students has been their overall capability to perform in the classroom academically. I had my expectations set at a good level going into the school year, but those expectations have definitely raised since I have seen what these 6th graders are capable of doing. Their are a lot of things, individually and as a group, that surprised me, but the fact that as a class these students develop sophisticated insights into math problems, and reading analysis, and their writing, social studies vocabulary words, and many other things. Though they have so much more to learn in this world, it is true to say that they have a great jump on gaining a diverse and plentiful amount of knowledge.
2 comments:
I completely relate to both of your surprises. There is absolutely never a down moment in the classroom. My CT is always moving, intervening, having her hair pulled (not an experiece your sixth graders likely engage in), conferencing with parents . . .
We learn about being prepared for the exhaustion that comes with teaching, but it is still surprising to see it in action.
I also have been amazed at the level of work my kindergartners are working with. I had no idea they learned what a rhombus was, or how to ask questions as readers. My level of expectations has had to rise because of the level of work they are engaging in. It seems like kids these days are doing work I didn't encounter until several grades later.
I am in the same boat as you in regards to seeing just how much work we will be doing when we take over in the spring. I am a little frightened, I dont know about you but I am just exhausted from just being there observing and helping. I can imagine how much more energy we will have to put in to teach all day long. I think that this is a wonderful surprise that we can all learn a lot from.
Post a Comment